Thursday, November 19, 2015

Feeling Blessed

My generation are now the seniors in our family. We now are forced to respond to titles like; uncle, aunt, grandma, grandpa, and senior citizen (only tolerable when it saves us money on food), instead of the much more acceptable though dated terms, dude, bro, kid, babe, guy, or gal. At the same time we feel much more likely to use terms for others that we hated years ago; squirts (cute young kids), whippersnappers (smart-alack cute young kids), or antiques (referring to our keepsakes and yearbook friends).

We now measure our health, count our calories, and do our best to read our medicine bottles. Doctors are no longer a career path that we might choose; now we know several by their first name and wonder how those young kids got a degree. Many of us may know more about our physical therapists family than our brother's or sister's. Joints are no longer places we like to hang out but are body pivot points that are scheduled for new parts one by one. We have found aching muscles in locations that were totally ignored before (my feet hurt?). Our moms and dads used to have trouble getting us up, now we feel it is a great accomplishment to go to sleep (and stay asleep).

We have quit climbing the ladder (physically and metaphorically) and are hoping they don't change the retirement age to quickly. The question of how long we should keep working is exasperated by someones rude reminder that we might not have long to live. Our plans for the future have now become a "bucket list" of things to accomplish before we die.

All this sounds kinda grim until you get to the really good part. We did wake up this morning. We have another day to enjoy the many blessings we have and to appreciate the people in our lives. We have lived enough life to not take for granted our family and friends. Thank you for being one of those special people in my life. I pray that our relationship will be a long one and because of Jesus that we will one day be done with the problems associated with long life and be enjoying an eternity with each other in a perfect heaven. Make sure your bucket list includes a decision to accept God's invitation to an eternity with Him. I will see you there.

   “Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. “He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. “With a long life I will satisfy him And let him see My salvation.” (Psalm 91:14–16, NASB95)